Editorial boards across the country and America’s southwest border have spoken – Trump’s call of a national emergency not only “didn’t need to” happen but they know it’s a fake emergency:
- Houston Chronicle Editorial (TEXAS):
American presidents have repeatedly called national emergencies to protect democracy.
Donald Trump may become the first to do it to undermine democracy — on our very own soil.
- Santa Fe New Mexican Editorial (NEW MEXICO):
Trump’s attempt to seize billions to build a wall that Congress has refused to pay for is an abuse of power, an attempt to take authority from Congress and invest it in an increasingly imperial presidency.
There is no “invasion” of the United States, despite Trump’s claims. There is no national emergency.
- Arizona Daily Star Editorial (ARIZONA):
Trump’s declaration of an emergency sets a dangerous precedent for the country, and it speaks to the hollowness of his agenda.
Responding to these emergencies is far more important to our national safety than Trump’s wall could ever be.
- San Diego Tribune Editorial (CALIFORNIA):
Trump’s assertion Friday that we are seeing “an invasion of our country with drugs, with human traffickers, with all types of criminals and gangs” is delusional.
the courts…must push back on the illicit power grab that Trump is using his declaration to justify…
- The Wall Street Journal Editorial: Trump’s Political Emergency
- The Washington Post Editorial: Trump’s presidency enters a new imperial phase — and Mitch McConnell just rolls over
- USA Today Editorial: Trump emergency sets precedent Republicans will regret
- The New York Times Editorial: A Trump-Made Emergency
- Bloomberg Editorial: Trump’s ‘National Emergency’ Is a Dangerous Fraud
- St. Louis Dispatch Editorial: The true ’emergency’ is Trump’s attempt to dodge the Constitution. If he succeeds, others will follow.
- Star Tribune Editorial: Trump created his own emergency
- Masslive.com Editorial: Trump’s ‘emergency’ is nation’s nightmare
- Salt Lake Tribune Editorial: There is no crisis at the border
- Tuscaloosa Editorial: Emergency declaration is overreach
- Richmond Times Dispatch Editorial: Invoking emergency powers is no way to build a wall
- WRAL.com Editorial: N.C. members of Congress – Protect the Constitution, not Trump’s trophy wall
- Sentinel Colorado Editorial: America’s ‘national emergency’ is Trump’s dictatorial perversion of the law
- The Inquirer Editorial: Trump declares national emergency over a nonexistent crisis. Here’s 4 emergencies we actually face
- Tampa Bay Times Editorial: Border wall is no emergency
- The Press Democrat Editorial: Trump’s ‘emergency’ sets a dangerous precedent
- Chicago Sun-Times Editorial: America’s real national emergency: Mass shootings
- The Boston Globe Editorial: Trump’s ‘emergency’ sets a dangerous precedent
- Chicago Tribune Editorial: Trump blurs the meaning of ‘national emergency’
- The Charleston Gazette-Mail Editorial: Border wall funding not a national emergency
- PBS: Trump’s national emergency declaration unpopular among majority of Americans
- The Washington Times: Majority of voters not siding with Trump in emergency declaration controversy, poll shows
- Newsweek: Support for Donald Trump’s national emergency is even less than his job approval rating, poll indicates
- NPR: Poll: 6-In-10 Disapprove Of Trump’s Declaration Of A National Emergency
- Washington Post: The public sees through Trump’s national emergency lies. A new poll confirms it.
- The Hill: Majority disapproves of Trump’s national emergency declaration, NPR poll shows